Wednesday, April 12, 2017

Battle Cruiser - Missed my Mark

I just finished reading Battle Cruiser by B. V. Larson. I have to say, I was a little disappointed. I have read his Undying Mercenaries series and really enjoyed them so I was looking forward to starting a new series but this one didn’t hit the mark for me.

That isn’t to say that it was a bad story. I would give it a solid 3 or 3.5 out of 5 but he usually hits much higher on the scale than that for me.

The story was good; Earth has lost her capacity to go to the stars through a solar calamity and the Star Guard is struggling to survive on smaller and smaller budgets as the Earth becomes isolationist and retreats inward. Into this arena a young captain is forced to overcome the odds and inertia of politics when he discovers that one of the Colonist’s ships has returned and the single ship out guns all of the Earth’s fleet by itself.

The problems for me come with the characters, who are not as well developed as they could be, and the plot was not as fleshed out as it could have been. There are some really good characters here that I would have liked to know better.

The plot felt rushed and had few twists or turns. I had real trouble with the romantic connection between the main character and his girl. He met her once and they were both willing to make major sacrifices for each other. I felt there needed to be more development there also.

As I said earlier, I enjoyed the story, but I probably won’t finish the series.

But that's just my opinion.


-Jeff

No comments:

Post a Comment